Clane General Hospital (CGH) is committed to ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information.
Clane General Hospital must comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 1988. The 1988 Act was amended by the Data Protection (Amendment) Act 2003. The 2003 Amendment Act brought our law into line with the EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC.
We are committed to complying with all applicable privacy laws which govern how Clane General Hospital collects, uses, discloses and stores your personal information.
This Privacy Statement sets out in brief how Clane General Hospital will handle your personal information.
2. Information Governance
Information governance is the set of standards we must follow in handling personal healthcare records. Good information governance means that all personal health and insurance information is handled legally, securely, efficiently and effectively in order to deliver the best possible care to people who use our services. It also includes sharing of relevant personal health and insurance information with our service users where appropriate.
What does it involve?
We must manage our records effectively. This means that information should be accurate, up to date and accessible when it is needed.
We must ensure that information is kept securely and is accessed only by those who should be accessing it.
We must protect the confidentiality of the information – information provided in confidence should not be used or disclosed in a way that might identify an individual without a legal basis for processing.
Patients have a right to access health information about themselves – please see full policy.
3. What Personal Information We Hold?
In order to provide you with the highest quality of healthcare, we need to keep records about you. These records may include:
- Personal information such as your name, address, date of birth, next of kin.
- Contact we have had with you, such as clinic visits and hospital admissions.
- Notes and reports about your health and details of any treatment and care you need or have received either from us or from other healthcare providers, such as your GP, primary care, other hospitals, community health organisations/services and pharmacy.
- Results of investigations such as x-rays and laboratory tests.
- Insurance details.
4. What Will We Use Your Information For?
Clane General Hospital will use your records to:
- Confirm your identity when we contact you, or when you contact us.
- Make decisions about your ongoing care and treatment.
- Make sure your care is safe and effective.
- Check the quality of your care.
- Confirm your insurance cover and excess payments.
- To ensure a safe care journey through our hospital and onto other care providers if/when required.
5. Do I Have A Choice?
No. If you wish to receive safe and appropriate care and treatment at our hospital we must maintain an accurate record of relevant information about you. However, if you have any concerns about providing information or how we share this information with other healthcare and insurance providers and their agents, please discuss this with our staff so that you fully understand the reason why we capture this information.
6. Do You Share Information About Me With Anyone?
Yes, as part of your continuing care we may also share relevant information about you with other relevant organisations who may be involved in your care at some point, for example:
- Other hospitals that are involved in your care and treatment.
- Your GP.
- Community Healthcare Organisations and their services.
- Local authorities.
- Primary care.
- Insurance or billing companies.
When we share information with other organisations involved in your care, we do so under a formal agreement about how your data will be used and it will be kept confidential.
We will not disclose your information to any other third parties without your permission unless there are exceptional circumstances, such as if the health and safety of others is at risk or if there is a legislative requirement for us to pass on information.
Relevant information about you may also be used to help us to:
- Manage finances e.g. billing and costs.
- Teach and train our staff.
- Manage and plan our services.
- To perform clinical audits.
- Help investigate concerns or complaints that you or your family may have about your healthcare.
- Wherever possible we use information that would not identify you personally (anonymous information).
7. Can I See The Information You Hold About Me?
Yes. You have the right to access any identifiable information we hold about you. General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Acts allow you to find what information is held about you on computer and in paper records.
If you wish to request a copy of your personal healthcare records please contact:
By letter: Data Protection Officer, Clane General Hospital, Clane, Co. Kildare
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org